Sunday, March 18, 2007

From the Outside Looking In

El Dorado Park Estates houses some of the wealthier inhabitants of the town of Los Al/L.B.
Fancy cars line the streets and spoiled children play in the neighborhood park.

I've always felt slightly self conscious as the only family on the block whose father was a Rabbi and made less than $500,000 a year.

Not that I'm ashamed...don't get me wrong.
I've just always felt like we had to be on extra good behavior.
Like the need to keep up the good appearance of the house.
And make sure the cars went to the car wash more than once a year.
I mean, we represent the entire orthodox Jewish community for goodness sakes.
:)

It's not about people thinking we have a nice house.
It's about people not thinking the rabbi's family is bringing down the neighborhood.
Ok fine.
Slight complex.
Admitted.

Our backyard neighbors have quite the view from their house into ours and although we've never met are quite aware of the typical American, affluent family that they are.
Cute blonde kids.
Lotsa pool parties and late night bbqs with friends.
Beautiful house.
Yeah.
I'm sure they are quite aware that our family is most definitely not the norm around here and have probably noticed some strange goings on at our place...


Anyhow, they have been doing some construction on their pool.
Due to some work on their wall which is also our wall, the green hedge that grows near our pool has come loose and hangs precariously over on our side.

We mentioned this to the rich backyardigans and they promise to take care of it.

A week or two have gone by and the hedge still has not been fixed.
So I decide to take a little walk around the block and have a chat with the neighbors.

Actually I was hoping they wouldn't be home as I'm wearing my um, pesach cleaning best...so I write a note planning to leave it in the mailbox.

A silver BMW greets me in the driveway.

Yikes.
They're home.
A timid knock.
Opened by a perfectly manicured blonde American mom.

"Hi I'm Chani - your backyard neighbor..."

A look of dread comes over her face.

She stammers, "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry...my husband got your note, is that your dad, the rabbi...we came in last night through the garage so we didn't notice the note till this morning at 6:00 when Jim went to work - he left me a text message to take care of it ASAP. We are so sorry, you know contractors...they never show up when you need them."

(oops, guess my father beat me to the note...)

I quickly appease her letting her know my parents are NOT upset at all...only our holiday is coming up and we have guests coming for the weekend, and if they can please get it fixed we would appreciate it.

Her body sighs in relief and a smile appears.
"Do you want to see the pool?"

I'd love to.
Truly.

From here on in the conversation flows as "Janie" proudly shows me the fabulous new innovations to her home and pool as they have recently redone the entire inside of the house as well as the backyard.
I am struck by how differently two houses can look...ours is the same floor model, but the similarities end there.
Wow.
Nice.

It seems that the neighbors installed three waterfalls in the new pool and my blonde friend begins to apologize for the noise the falls make, hoping it doesn't disturb us.

Growing up in a large family doesn't exactly lend itself to a quiet household and I've always cringed to think what the neighbors think of all the noise.

Here's my perfect opportunity and I take it to apologize for all the noise we make...
(For all the kids, grandkids, Shabbos and holidays late into the night with singing...Sukkos!!)

"Oh no, please. Actually, I love your music.
I hear it all the time and I'm starting to recognize some of the songs...I hum along even though I don't know the words."

(Oh my goodness. Did she just say she loves our music??)

"Y'know, my kids used to call you the normal family...
Cuz you ate dinner together and didn't watch tv a whole day."

(Normal? Did she just say normal!)


:)
:)
:)

lol - peeping toms with no shame.
I run home, laughing the whole way back to 3260 El Dorado Drive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is soooo great
i totally love this
speechless

Cookie said...

Truth is I almost didn't post this one as it reveals some less than exemplary Jewish pride issues that I would hope don't exist...but alas lurk in the shadows of my mind.
but hey, human frailties exposed... healthy for the ego.
:)

ps
how's the swing holding up?

Anonymous said...

thy swing is the bestest in the whole wide wordth

the sabra said...

ni-ice