Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Who's Your G-d?




























Shopping one day in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn NY, I walked into a women's clothing shop on Kingston Ave.

How anyone shops there I do not know, as things are so jam-packed you need herculean strength just to part the items hanging from the racks.

Regardless, I waltzed right on in, pretending for just a moment that I could afford the luxury of actually purchasing something.

Behind me a girl walked in.
Jewish.
Orthodox.
Beautiful.

She was dressed for summer, with all it's challenges.

Skirt far too short, sleeves much too high, neckline...yikes.
Um, yeah...didn't seem like she cared much for the basic guidelines of modesty...

Anyhoo, it was shortly after my stint with Jessica the Color Goddess, and I was still slightly obsessed with my color pallette book, bringing it with me whenever I shopped.

Naively thinking I'm the only one in the world who ever got my colors done, I was happily surprised to see this girl whip out her own little color book filled with her colored fabric swatches.

As we shopped I overheard bits of the conversation going on between the store owner and the girl.
"No, it's too pink, Jessica said the pink has to have more orange in it...
Not exactly the style she told me to wear...
I'm not allowed to wear black...
Or stripes...
The green is a little to bright...
Only crisp lines, Jessica says to stay away from anything too flowy..."

My goodness.
The details of shopping with your pallette.
If the color is slightly off, the cut a little too whatever and the fabric not exactly right...it's no good.
I could totally relate.
:)
Jessica-itis.



The whole situation started me thinking...

Just by the looks of it, something tells me that this girl has an issue with being told what to do and what to wear.

But somehow when it comes to Jessica, suddenly it's all good.
And every single solitary detail is important.

Hmmmm.

Life is all about choices.
Everybody worships something...

It's just a question of what.

Or Who.



p.s.
Good luck with summer my friends.
That neitzer hara is a tricky little feller...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

start post. so, so true.

whats neitzer? do u mean yeitzer?

Cookie said...

my nephew calls it the neitzer tov.
i adopted it...

chanie lakein said...

i love when you say neitzer hora
it is soooooooooo funny
dunno why it just is

the sabra said...

oooh
wow
good one
i mean bad one, but its good that we think from these things
or we realize that we should, lifachot

Cookie said...

:)
ken, ken sabraleh.

soldier said...

that is an awesome picture
gosh
i love abstract art