Monday, April 30, 2007

My Rebbe and Me

Great anticipation.
Joy and jubilation.

My heart goes thump thump, thump thump.
Smile widens.
A giggle gurgles upward.
(say that 10 times fast)

In honor of my bas mitzvah (that passed 3 weeks before) I was privileged to be the one to accompany my mother to New York for my cousin Layah's wedding.

It's Sunday morning.

I'm twelve years old, in NY, preparing to get a dollar from the Lubavitcher Rebbe.

We are waiting in line.
A looooooooooooooong line.
The kallah, my aunt and uncle, bubby and zeidy, cousins, mother and me.

Wearing the nicest outfit I could find in my suitcase, I practice over and over again in yiddish:

"Mein Bas Mitzvah is Geven Bais Adar"
"Mein Bas Mitzvah is Geven Bais Adar"
"Mein Bas Mitzvah is Geven Bais Adar"

My bas mitzvah was on the second of adar.

Mother reminds me to be sure and speak loudly so the Rebbe will hear me.
And to listen carefully when the Rebbe answers and try to remember what he says.
And don't forget to say adaynk.
Thank you.

~~~~

Finally we reach the house.
The door.
The room.

Everything is happening so quickly...
Rabbi Groner hustles us through...
The day is short, the line is long, and the people are waiting...

Layah the kallah near tears as she accepts her bracha and multiple dollars...
My aunt, my uncle...
Zaidy and bubby asking for a bracha for my elter zaide...
The kallah's sisters...
Then it's my turn.

"Mein Bas Mitzvah is Geven Beis Adar."

The Rebbe says "Zolst haben a shnas hatzlacha, besuros tovos"
(you should have a year of success, we should hear good news)

My mother follows proudly...


Oops.
Forgot to say adaynk.
:)

8 comments:

soldier said...

this post just makes me smile!!!!!
really!!!

it is just really awesome!
no words
but just as pictures are worth a 1000 words
video are worth 2000

Anonymous said...

you didn't say adank, but it looks like you muttered something when you walked away...or were u just shakin the head?

C said...

You're so cute!! (are, were??)
Its so awesome that u have memories of the Rebbe and the video... am I allowed to be jealous?

chana said...

oy, of all the preciousness..

Cookie said...

soldier, YOU make me smile.

d~ i was laughing at that part...
where as i walk away i'm nodding my head as if to say "yeah, i got that."
:)
lol
as if.

chaya - i'm jealous of my little self too.
iy'h we should be able to go to the Rebbe for dollars in yerushalyim with moshiach immediately.
i'll go with you.

Raizel Weinbaum said...

where did you find that clip?

Cookie said...

well, if you really wanna know...
bracha had it in her house so i stole the vhs and ripped it to my video camera and captured it to my computer and burned it to mpeg and uploaded it to youtube.

any more questions?
:)
how you feeling today sis?

chanie lakein said...
This comment has been removed by the author.