Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Too Tired To Post - Must Rob Cousin


















CAN YOU LISTEN?
by Z.F.


I must tell my story
There is something on my mind
A clot in my heart I must clear

It happened yesterday
Its impact on me was intense
I'm afraid recovery will take a while

I am telling you my story.
Can you listen to me?

But you answer my question
You advise and analyze,
“Life's not that bad. If there's a will there's a way.”

But I don’t hear you
I’m a heart, not a brain
Don’t give me advice
Don’t tell me it’s false
I can’t understand

I am trying to tell you my story.
Please listen to me.

Change of pace
You encourage and console me instead,
“Oh, you’ll be fine, I’m sure you’ll pull through.”

But I don’t hear you
It is now, not later
Console me then
When I have conquered my grief

I did not tell you my story.
Why can’t you listen to me?

---

I must tell my story
There is something on my mind
And the clot in my heart is still there

What can you do to soften my pain?
Listen. Please, just listen to me.



~~~~~



FOUR TYPES:
by Z.F.

There are four types of people.
The ignorant says “what’s mine is yours, and what’s yours is mine.”
The pious says “what’s mine is yours, and what’s yours is yours.”
The wicked says “what’s yours is mine, and what’s mine is mine.”
Then there are those who know how to count.

The wicked is wicked because he is a robber.
But the ignorant should also be a robber. One may not take another’s possession even with intention to replace it.
And the pious should be poor. Or foolish. We are not supposed to give away more than one fifth of our assets to others (barring certain situations probably not applicable to the pious).

Allow me to conclude therefore, that we are not discussing physical belongings. We are discussing the moral status of a favor.

The ground zero of favors is “what’s mine is mine, and what’s yours is yours.” If I did you a favor, it’s yours. Keep it. It is my gift to you. Don’t bother repaying it, because there is no such thing as “repaying a favor”. And if you do me a favor, don’t think you’re all hot, and you have one on me. I owe you nothing. It was a favor. From your heart.

In short: don’t expect favors. This is the foundation of the moral status of favors. He who knows this, is normal. But he who practices it shouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t make many friends. And you know, in Sodom there were no friends.

If someone thinks favors are exchanges (“I gave you money when you needed it, give me money when I need it! Where’s your hakoras hatov?!”), you know he is plain dumb. Hakoras hatov means I thanked you when you did me a favor. Now go away. You can’t make be beholden to you by being nice to me. It doesn’t work like that. Misnaged.

The wicked dude expects people to clean up after him. He thinks favors are obligatory, but only one way. His way. Believe it or not, many people are like this. Maybe even you. The guy who’s driving down the highway and misses his exit? Mind you, he’s not in a very good mood to begin with: he woke up late and is late to his appointment. Now he missed his exit. For the second time. But that’s half his problems when he realizes the next exit to U is in 25 miles. So now he’s super angry and having a tantrum all over the place.
But he’s expecting things to be good for him. “Give it to me, make it good, and give it now!” Nobody is obligated to give you a good time, buddy. Push though it.

Then there’s the chasid. He’s just doing favors for everybody, and not expecting to have a good life. Good guy. He’ll probably have a good life.

The bottom line is this.




- my cousin Zalman Friedman's blog spotaneousgeneration.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you find such beautiful images for your blog?

Cookie said...

ah.

you ask for secrets.
i cannot share.
you look for truth.
i cannot bare.

one day.
one day.

till then, take care.

Anonymous said...

(as if they're my pics...:)
credit where credit is due - great art site i stumbled across - dearada.typepad.com)