Sunday, January 14, 2007

It's not about me

So I'm sitting in a class at the Marriott hotel.
Key Largo Florida.
Circa 5767 post creation

Rabbi Friedman has been speaking for some time now about Chachma, Bina and Da'as and how Da'as means "this is who I am" like when someone calls your name you don't have to think or understand or process any of the information like in the first two steps of Chachma and Bina because it is who you are at your essence.

Three or four hours have gone by. The hour is late. And the crowd has dwindled.
I leave the room for a moment to get a cup of tea and a cookie lookie.
As I settle back down for some more introspective dialogue at Bais Chana I realize that Rabbi F. may be thirsty as well and would enjoy a hot cup of tea right about now.

So I mosey back on out to prepare a second cup of tea, bring it in and place it on his desk.

Some time goes by and Rabbi continues to speak.
Never reaching for the steaming cup of tea beside him.

I start to think.
Not too long ago I would have started to feel a little badly about this.
Slightly insulted.
Slighted.
Sad.
:(
I brought him a cup of tea and he isn't even drinking it!
The shame!
The incredible hurt.
How could he?
How could I?
What the world?

Ok. I'm getting carried away here...but I definitely would have had some sort of an insulted reaction.

Not too long ago we finished a class on "getting over yourself".
It's not about you.
Sometimes I do something nice for someone else but who is it really about?
Usually it's mostly about them and a little bit about me.
Or mostly about me and a little bit about you.

If I was bringing the cup of tea for the Rabbi and some part of the act was about me (I'm so nice, I'm so thoughtful, I want him to enjoy a cup of tea) then I would have taken the situation personally and the fact that he didn't want to drink it as an insult.
But it's not about me.
It's about him.
So whether he drinks it or not doesn't affect me.
Because it's not about me.
It's not about me.
It's not about me.
.......
.......
.......
.......
.......

The clock nears midnight and class nears its end.
Rabbi Friedman reaches for the cup of tea.
And takes a sip.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU POSTED!! YAYAY
no more seeing happy bday everyday nuts
i love it, for sure i need to put into my everyday life
i love the cookie lookie part!

Anonymous said...

Chana
Once again your inspiration has uplifted me and made me ever so happy.
Okay enough with the proper talk-
Chani I love that you posted, and what you posted very much inspired me!
I cant wait to see you!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

ps-
YYour right... it ISNT about me!

Cookie said...

Ah, I wrote it more for myself than anything...working on not being so sensitive so I give you guys permission to remind me when I seem upset or insulted that it's not about me. k? k. thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Chani-
As you give us premission to remind you, I ask you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE to do the same for your truly!

:) :) :)

Anonymous said...

ps- once you read my email you'll understand why I need the reminder that its NOT about me!!!!

musha said...

LOVE IT- LOVE THE RABBI
i have actually been trying to get him to italy for quite a while now... turns out he's a bit too pricy! :) but u know what? the truth is its all about me...it s all for me.... I want him to come... I love his lectures.....!!!!!